Today we will explore an interesting and useful Free Software Distribution which is characterized by being light, simple and of special use for users experienced in Operating Systems free and open Linux-based, and whose name is CRUX.
And all this, taking advantage of the fact that it has released its version 3.6 in these recent days of December of the current year, which is about to end.
Before entering fully, on the Distro CRUX and the news of its new version, it is good to clarify that CRUX it is Distro without Systemd, which makes it particularly attractive to many, since there is a large percentage of Linuxers they usually prefer GNU / Linux Distros with alternatives to said "Kernel Boot Systems" (Init), in other words, Systemd.
In case, you want to know other Distro without Systemd, we recommend at the end of reading this publication, go to our next entry related to this topic:
And in case you want to know a little more about why some users look for alternatives to Distros with Systemd, you can visit our following related entry on this topic:
"Systemd is currently the most widely used standard in terms of "Kernel Boot Systems" (Init) that can be achieved in Unix environments, such as Linux. It was created a couple of years ago by Lennart Poettering (mainly) together with Kay Sievers (ex-Red Hat). Currently it has an LGPL 2.1 license (with exceptions licensed under GPL2). Although there are other alternatives, such as the old traditionalists SysVinit and Upstart, there are also new alternatives out there such as Systemd-shim."
Table of Contents
CRUX 3.6: New version available from 09/12/2020
CRUX: A light and simple Distro
According to Official website of the Distro CRUX, it is described as:
"CRUX is a lightweight Linux distribution for the x86-64 architecture aimed at experienced Linux users. The main focus of this distribution is to keep it simple, which is reflected in a package system based on the tar.gz format, BSD-style startup scripts, and a relatively small collection of trimmed packages. Your secondary focus is utilizing new Linux features, tools, and recent libraries. CRUX also has a port system that makes it easy to install and update applications."
What's new in version 3.6
According to his file Release Notes, some of the new features of it are:
- Toolchain updates: Comes with a multilib Toolchain that includes glibc 2.32, gcc 10.2.0 and binutils 2.35.1.
- Core (Kernel):Linux 5.4.80 (LTS)
- Xorg Parcel: Xorg 7.7 and Xorg-server 1.20.9
- ISO Image: Processed with Isohybrid, which makes it ideal and suitable for burning to CD / DVD and use on a USB drive. Additionally, its UEFI support is available during installation with dosfstools, efibootmgr, and grub2-efi / syslinux available during installation. And lastly, it includes all bootloaders except lilo, which is no longer installed as a default kernel port. Whereas, to give the possibility of selecting a boot loader it has a new configuration menu.
- Incompatible changes: Important libraries have been updated to new major versions that are not compatible with old versions. Which is why, its developers strongly advise not to manually update to CRUX 3.6 through ports, as these changes will temporarily break the system.
Note: Days after the release of version 3.6, a bugfix version has been released (CRUX 3.6.1) that fixes a single non-critical bug during the upgrade. Also, the developers make the point that, if they have already installed version 3.6, no reinstallation is required, only update.
We hope this "useful little post" about the so-called Distro
«CRUX», an interesting and useful Free Software Distribution which is characterized by being light, simple and of special use for users experienced in Operating Systems free and open Linux-based; is of great interest and utility, for the entire
«Comunidad de Software Libre y Código Abierto» and of great contribution to the diffusion of the wonderful, gigantic and growing ecosystem of applications of
And for more information, always do not hesitate to visit any Online library and OpenLibra y jedit to read books (PDFs) on this topic or others knowledge areas. For now, if you liked this
«publicación», don't stop sharing it with others, in your Favorite websites, channels, groups, or communities of social networks, preferably free and open as Mastodon, or secure and private like Telegram.