Something that characterizes the average user of GNU / Linux Distrosapart from liking customize to your liking your graphical environment (visual), is the optimize as much as possible the available resources of your computer. For this reason, they are always very aware of the consumption of RAM, CPU and Disk. And on this last element, to try to maintain the greatest amount of free space available by junk, unnecessary or duplicate files, you usually use several applications, among which is available "Czkawka".
Since basically "Czkawka" is a simple, fast and easy to use application to delete unnecessary files on the GNU / Linux Operating Systems, emphasizing the duplicate files
And before entering fully into the topic of the application "Czkawka", it is worth noting as usual, that if you wish to delve into the subject of «Optimization» of the Operating Systems free and open based on GNU / Linux, you can visit our following related entries on that point:
"Optimizing an Operating System or a Computer (Computer) means improving the performance of the same, from the realization of certain logical (software) or physical (hardware) changes. In the case of hardware changes, the Operating System may benefit from an update or increase in Hard Disk Space, RAM Memory, CPU Type, among other things. While, At a logical level, the use of applications or the execution of technical actions can allow us to increase or maintain a high level of performance and operability at a zero or close cost." How to optimize our GNU / Linux Operating Systems?
Table of Contents
Czkawka: Efficient alternative app to FSlint and FDupes
What is Czkawka?
According to his official website on GitHub, it is described as follows:
"Czkawka is a simple, fast and easy to use application to delete unnecessary files from your computer."
Also, for the current date, it is currently available with multiplatform installers guidance on Windows, Mac and Linux, using executables and installers to CLI y GUI under the number of version 3.0.0 - 11.03.2021r.
Current features and functionalities
For the currently available version, its developers describe the following characteristics for the same:
- Written in Rust.
- Incredible speed and efficiency.
- Free, open source, and no ads.
- Cross-platform support (Linux, Windows and macOS).
- Cache support to make the second and subsequent scans much faster than the first.
- Available with Frontend GUI (Desktop) and CLI (Terminal), in order to achieve a flexible and easily administrable and automatable application. In the case of, its graphical user interface, it uses GTK 3 and has a similar aspect to FSlint.
- It has rich search capability, allowing you to set absolute included and excluded directories, set of allowed file extensions, or items excluded with the * wildcard.
In addition, it has multiple functionalities or tools to use, such as:
- Duplicate files: To find duplicates based on filename, size, hash, first 1MB of hash.
- Empty folders: To find empty folders with the help of an advanced algorithm.
- Large files, empty and temporary: To search (detect) the largest files, or empty and temporary, in a search path / drive.
- Similar images: To search for (detect) image files that are not exactly the same, that is, that are different due to resolution issues or watermarks.
- Files in zeros: To search (detect) files filled with zeros (usually corrupt).
- Same music: To search (detect) music files with the same artist, album, among other items.
- Invalid symbolic links: To find and display symbolic links pointing to non-existent files / directories.
- Broken files: To search (detect) files with an invalid extension or that are corrupted.
Download, installation and screenshot
For your direct and fast download, you can explore the following link. Its excellent AppImage format available. And for its execution without installation, its file called
«linux_czkawka_gui» guidance on GUI o
«linux_czkawka_cli» guidance on CLI. Once downloaded, installed and executed, via graphical or terminal, through the respective command command (
«./linux_czkawka_gui o ./linux_czkawka_cli») It only remains to use it at the user's discretion, making use of its simple and intuitive user interface below:
Note: In case it is not useful or practical, remember that you can use FSLint guidance on GUI o FDupes guidance on CLI. And to explore other ways of installation, such as using Flatpak o Snap, explore the following link.
We hope this "useful little post" about
«Czkawka», which is a simple, fast and easy-to-use application to delete unnecessary files in our GNU / Linux Operating Systems emphasizing the duplicate files; is of great interest and utility, for the entire
«Comunidad de Software Libre y Código Abierto» and of great contribution to the diffusion of the wonderful, gigantic and growing ecosystem of applications of
For now, if you liked this
publicación, Do not stop share it with others, on your favorite websites, channels, groups or communities of social networks or messaging systems, preferably free, open and / or more secure as Telegram, Signal, Mastodon or another of Fediverse, preferably. And remember to visit our home page at «FromLinux» to explore more news, as well as join our official channel of Telegram from DesdeLinux. While, for more information, you can visit any Online library Be OpenLibra y jedit, to access and read digital books (PDFs) on this topic or others.