Recientemente Netflix, the world famous subscription streaming service, which allows its members to watch or download series and movies without advertisements on a device with an internet connection, has released an interesting and controversial documentary called "The Social Dilemma" or in Spanish "The Dilemma of Social Networks".
In it, the following is basically exposed: The current addiction that they create the people to achieve csqueeze your time, your attention, your data, and in consequence, analyze, exploit and profit these same elements, that is, turn each user into a profitable product for your clients, thus subtly violating our privacy and computer security, and in some cases even our way of thinking or perceiving reality or certain concrete facts.
On other occasions, we have touched on topics related to Information Security, Cybersecurity, Privacy and Computer SecurityHowever, it is worth noting that at the end of this publication you review them sequentially to strengthen or improve your knowledge in this area. And these are:
Surely, if you have already seen or read about said Netflix Documentary, when you read or reread these previous publications very carefully, you capture in a general way, that the same «Dilemma of Social Networks» is extrapolated to different degrees, to practically all Operating Systems and any other modern and current proprietary, closed application, service and platform, and hence, commercial.
Table of Contents
Social Media Dilemma: The Documentary
"The Dilemma: Never before have a handful of tech designers had so much control over the way billions of us think, act, and live our lives. ". The Social Dilemma.
What is it?
According to Netflix, said documentary is described as:
"A hybrid between documentary and drama that delves into the business of social networks, the power they wield and the addiction they generate in us: their perfect bait". See link.
Regarding said documentary, it is worth noting that it is a production of By Jeff Orlowski, which was directed by the Director of Chasing Ice, and that it obtained as a winning film, a Emmy Award for News and Documentaries.
What is it about?
Broadly speaking, it can be said that said production focuses on exposing clearly and precisely, the effects and consequences of the many phenomena (activities and actions) that occur around the Social about society, both individually and collectively (generational and social). And all this, with the ultimate goal of turning us, the user, into a salable product for potential advertising clients.
Of course, making it very clear, that in many cases this can even reach shape our opinion, behavior patterns or way of seeing (perceiving / interpreting) reality, both personal and collective, in such a subtle and unconscious way that many not only fail to be able to perceive, but even to accept.
Finally, it states that Social usually:
- Give a false sense of social participation.
- Increase the anxiety and depression of its users.
- Facilitate and / or reinforce the dissemination of false news.
- Influence locally or globally in important events such as elections or important issues in the political, economic, cultural, social, among others.
How does it apply to Operating Systems?
The current and modern Operating Systems, both desktop computers and mobile devices, do not escape this same "Dilemma". A good example will always be the current one Windows 10 Operating System, which, with respect to its previous versions, has focused on its integration to the cloud and on improving its social capacity, that is, offer applications, services or information focused or customizable to the specific user who operates it.
For that, Windows 10 and other Operating Systems and applications or proprietary, closed and commercial software products often resort to the use of
«Telemetría, Spyware, Adware, Cookies», among other elements, and that without counting on the presentation, intentional or not, of rear doors or vulnerabilities that are usually found in them, with the passage of time. And that are not usually, for some users, discovered and / or resolved in a transparent, effective and efficient way.
Anyway, once we usually introduce our e-mail or other personal item for log in and sync our personal information, we may be being turned into a mass consumer product by their creators, to achieve profitability of our data, information and people.
And all under the very "Noble premise", of what be globally connected and in sync allows them to offer us more useful and accurate information for our tastes and needs.
Solution or Recommendations
As stated in some of the Related and recommended posts Within this publication, the ideal will always be that:
- Publish as little information as possible sensitive in private and commercial Social Networks, especially work and family, and prefer the use of Social Networks that are free and open. And to the extent possible, eliminate or minimize the use of notifications.
- Promote the use of Free Software and Open Source, and therefore GNU / Linux, to achieve its massification, and consequently, expand more and more, as a quality, safe and reliable alternative, both for individuals and collectively, as well as for Organizations and Companies of the public and private sector, of all countries of the world.
- Integrate as much as possible to the Free Software Movement or Communities, which have always been a natural counterweight to the growing and excessive power of the Corporations of the Software Industry, and sometimes even Hardware, although in general, it is a counterweight to everything proprietary and closed at a technological level, due to its elemental philosophical principles on which its 4 basic laws or principles are based.
- Avoid as much as possible (reduce) the use of any Operating System, Application and commercial and proprietary PlatformAlthough they are usually very good, they are also the preferred target of individual, collective, commercial or state attacks. In addition, they do not usually detect faults or correct errors at the most optimal speed for their users.
Alternatives: Free and open social networks
- Facebook and Twitter: Diaspora, Friendica, GNU Social, Hubzilla, Steemit, Mastodon, Movim, Nitter Pleroma, Okuna, Twister, and ZeroMe.
- Instagram and Snapchat: Pixelfed.
- Pinterest: Myyna and Pinry.
- YouTube: DTube, IPFSTube, LBRY, NodeTube, OpenTube and PeerTube.
For more information on alternatives of programs, applications, systems and platforms Free Software, Open Source and Free, you can click on the following listing that little by little is growing. And if you want to see a good complementary video to this publication, we recommend the following call: Shoshana Zuboff on surveillance capitalism.
We hope this "useful little post" on the central idea exposed by the Netflix Documentary called
«El Dilema de las Redes Sociales», and its extrapolation or comparison to current and modern Operating Systems, applications and other proprietary, closed and commercial platforms, is of great interest and utility, for the entire
«Comunidad de Software Libre y Código Abierto» and of great contribution to the diffusion of the wonderful, gigantic and growing ecosystem of applications of
And for more information, always do not hesitate to visit any Online library and OpenLibra y jedit to read books (PDFs) on this topic or others knowledge areas. For now, if you liked this
«publicación», don't stop sharing it with others, in your Favorite websites, channels, groups, or communities of social networks, preferably free and open as Mastodon, or secure and private like Telegram.
Or simply visit our home page at FromLinux or join the official Channel Telegram from DesdeLinux to read and vote for this or other interesting publications on
«GNU/Linux» and other topics related to
«Informática y la Computación», and the