The release of the new version of Fedora 35 in which the desktop environment has been updated to GNOME 41 with a redesign of the application installation management interface and new sections have been added to the configurator to configure window / desktop management and connection through cellular operators.
In addition, a new client for remote desktop connection using VNC and RDP protocols and the design of the music player has been changed. GTK 4 uses a new OpenGL-based rendering engine to reduce power consumption and speed up rendering.
It is also highlighted that kiosk mode implemented, which allows a GNOME session without running, the limited performance of a single preselected application. The mode is suitable for organizing the work of various information desks and self-service terminals.
On the other hand, it stands out in this new version of Fedora 35 that the first version of a new edition has been proposed of the distribution: Fedora Kinoite, based on Fedora Silverblue technologies, but using KDE instead of GNOME. The monolithic Fedora Kinoite image is not split into separate packages, it is atomically updated and built from the official Fedora RPMs using the rpm-ostree toolkit.
Another change that stands out in this new version is that PipeWire media server, which has been the default since the last version, moved to use WirePlumber audio session manager. WirePlumber allows you to manage the graph of the media nodes in PipeWire, configure audio devices, and control the routing of audio streams. Added support for S / PDIF protocol forwarding for digital audio transmission via optical S / PDIF and HDMI connectors.
Also, transitioned to use yescrypt password hashing scheme for new users and support for old hashes based on the previously used sha512crypt algorithm has been retained and is available as an option. Yescrypt extends the capabilities of classic scrypt by supporting the use of memory intensive circuitry and reducing the effectiveness of attacks using GPUs, FPGAs, and specialized chips. Yescrypt is protected by using proven SHA-256, HMAC, and PBKDF2 cryptographic primitives.
Of the other changes that stand out in this new version:
- Updated package versions including GCC 11, LLVM 13, Python 3.10, Perl 5.34, PHP 8.0, Binutils 2.36, Boost 1.76, glibc 2.34, binutils 2.37, gdb 10.2, Node.js 16, RPM 4.17, Erlang 24, and firewalld 1.0
- Fedora Cloud images use the Btrfs file system by default and a hybrid boot loader that supports booting into BIOS and UEFI systems.
- Added the power-profiles-daemon driver, which provides the ability to switch on the fly between power saving mode, power balance mode, and maximum performance mode.
- It is allowed to restart the user's systemd services after performing the "rpm update" (previously only the system services were restarted).
- The mechanism to activate third-party repositories has been modified.
The inclusion of third-party repositories now covers the featured peer-reviewed apps from the Flathub directory, meaning similar apps will be available in the GNOME software without installing FlatHub.
- The default use of the DNS over TLS (DoT) protocol has been implemented when supported by the selected DNS server.
Added support for mice with high precision scroll wheel positioning (up to 120 events per rotation).
- Compiler selection rules changed when building packages.
- When configuring disk encryption with LUKS, automatic selection of the optimal sector size is provided, that is, for disks with 4k physical sectors, the sector size will be 4096 in LUKS.
- The ability to use a session based on the Wayland protocol has been implemented on systems with proprietary NVIDIA drivers.
Finally, if you are interested in being able to know more about it, you can consult the details in the following link.
Download Fedora 35
Finally, for all those who want to be able to obtain this new image of the system and install this Linux distribution on their computers or simply want to test the system under a virtual machine.
All you have to do is go to Official website of the distribution and in its download section you can get the system image.