For about 15 years I have known about the GNU / Linux distributions. My first contact with one of them was Knoppix 5.X, which came with it KDE 3.5 Desktop Environment. Since then I have known and used in chronological order, many others such as: OpenSuse, Ubuntu, Debian and MX Linux.
And almost always using the KDE and Plasma Desktop Environment o XFCE. Since, from my point of view and current level of experience, Plasma is one of the most beautiful and complete, and XFCE one of the lightest and most versatile. And I consider that any of these in a GNU / Linux Distro, it can do wonders. And speaking of GNU / Linux Distros with Plasma, days ago I met a call "Garuda Linux", which I found an impressive and beautiful «Distro Rolling Release» based on Arch Linux.
Since, of "Garuda Linux" we have never discussed in detail in "FromLinux", we do not have recommended previous posts to invite you to read, and as perhaps, for many "Garuda Linux" is also little known, we invite you to read a previous publication, with some others GNU / Linux Distros little known.
"Can see the others GNU / Linux distributions of "DistroWatch Waiting List" clicking the next link and look for the section under the description in English below: "Distributions on the Waiting List ". While, in case you want to explore 2 more, little known and unlisted Distros, we recommend clicking on the following 2 links: link 1 y link 2." Little known GNU / Linux distributions not in DistroWatch
Table of Contents
Garuda Linux: An Arch Linux - Rolling Release
What is Garuda Linux?
According to his Official website, it is:
"An Arch Linux-based Rolling Release distribution that ensures you always get the latest software updates. Which also has an additional repository on top of Arch Linux repositories, which makes it easier for us not to have to install the system via terminal (CLI)."
Among the main features highlighted by its creators are the following:
- Using a Zen Kernel: Which gives it greater speed and greater responsiveness, as it is optimized for everyday use on the desktop, and in multimedia and gaming areas. Its incorporation and use was the result of a collaborative effort by kernel hackers to provide the best possible Linux kernel for an everyday operating system.
- Ease of use: Provides modern Terminal applications (CLI), such as "Micro", which is a terminal-based text editor that is easy to use and intuitive, and is predetermined in the Operating System, since it allows to take advantage of the capabilities of modern terminals. In addition, it offers several GUI tools to manage system configuration out of the box for easy startup.
- Always free: Its Developers promise that Garuda Linux will always be completely free. Since, they have created it to be a free and open Operating System based on GNU / Linux, and that above all it is easy to use, beautiful and offers high performance.
Other useful features
Other characteristics that can be briefly mentioned are:
- Use BTRFS as the default file system with zstd compression.
- It allows the programming and execution of automatic Snapshots through the Timeshift application.
- It has a friendly installation process, based on the use of the Calamares Installer, which is easy to use and speeds up the installation process.
- It offers for its installation and use the following Desktop Environments and Window Managers: KDE Plasma, GNOME, Xfce, Cinnamon, MATE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, BSPWM and i3wm.
- Under the KDE Plasma Desktop Environment, it comes with an excellent combination of carefully selected desktop themes, an attractive shell look, and beautiful out-of-the-box blur effects.
It incorporates various graphical interfaces (GUI) for various functions, such as: Package management (Pamac), management of drivers and kernels (Garuda Settings Manager), management of various common tasks (Garuda Assistant), management of options GRUB boot options (Garuda Boot Options), network connection management and access point creation (Garuda Network Assistant), and finally, one for installing game software (Garuda Gamer).
For your download, it is impressive and beautiful «Distro Rolling Release» which is based on Arch Linux offers, a simple download section, from where you can easily lower the Suitable ISOi.e. the ISO with the Desktop Environment y Window Managers of our preference, among the existing ones: KDE Plasma, GNOME, Xfce, Cinnamon, MATE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, BSPWM and i3wm.
After having seen several videos of it, he believed that it would be an excellent alternative to GNU / Linux Distro for those lovers of Arch Linux, as much or more as it is Manjaro. If they have a modern and spare computer Hardware Resources (RAM, ROM and CPU) the ideal is to try it with Plasma, since, I am sure that many will love this beautiful OS and its wonderful default and available effects.
We hope this "useful little post" about
«Garuda Linux», an impressive and beautiful «Distro Rolling Release» which is based on Arch Linux, that it is designed to be easy to use and designed to offer maximum performance; is of great interest and utility, for the entire
«Comunidad de Software Libre y Código Abierto» and of great contribution to the diffusion of the wonderful, gigantic and growing ecosystem of applications of
For now, if you liked this
publicación, Do not stop share it with others, on your favorite websites, channels, groups or communities of social networks or messaging systems, preferably free, open and / or more secure as Telegram, Signal, Mastodon or another of Fediverse, preferably. And remember to visit our home page at «FromLinux» to explore more news, as well as join our official channel of Telegram from DesdeLinux. While, for more information, you can visit any Online library Be OpenLibra y JedIT, to access and read digital books (PDFs) on this topic or others.