Today, as a way to continue contributing to the diffusion and massification of the countless useful projects of Free Software, Open Source and GNU / Linux existing, we will talk about one called GNOME CIRCLE».
Which is basically an interesting and valuable project created by and for the "GNOME" Community, in order to expand your ecosystem of applications and libraries, with own and third party developments.
For those who, as usual, want to explore and expand their knowledge on more free and open application projects, useful and available to everyone, we recommend the following previous publication:
"The use of free and open Operating Systems, such as GNU / Linux together with its huge, growing, efficient and effective repertoire of free and open applications, free or not, make any of the Distros and Apps available, an excellent, accessible and practical IT solution for personal and professional tasks, that is, work at home and in the office." Best Free Software and Open Source apps to work on Linux
Table of Contents
GNOME CIRCLE: Expanding the GNOME Ecosystem
What is GNOME CIRCLE?
According to Official website This Project developed by and for the GNOME Community, it is defined as:
"A project that seeks to improve the development and growth of applications and libraries to expand the GNOME Desktop Environment ecosystem. Hence, GNOME CIRCLE stands for good software developed and available for the GNOME platform. Not only the best applications and libraries for GNOME, but it also seeks to support independent developers using GNOME technologies."
What are the benefits of GNOME CIRCLE for GNOME App Developers?
The administrators of this project state that:
"Those developers using the GNOME platform can request that their projects be included in the GNOME Circle."
And consequently, if your project is approved, are eligible for certain benefits, among which the following can be mentioned:
- Promotion and publicity.
- Optional inclusion in Circle's GitLab group.
- Right to be a member of the GNOME Foundation.
And on the latter, more benefits are generated such as:
- Vote in the elections of the Board of Directors and in the referendums.
- To propose as a candidate for the elections of the Board of Directors.
- Use an email alias
«@gnome.org», a blog hosted on
«https://blogs.gnome.org», and a web space in
- Participate on the web GNOME planet.
- Receive sponsorship and reimbursements for trips, conferences and hackfests.
- Have an account in the service
«GNOME Cloud»and in
- Apply for an E-Rate discount at GANDI: domain and hosting provider.
What do you need as a developer to apply for GNOME CIRCLE?
«GNOME CIRCLE» explain that, to be eligible for the project, developers must in general:
- Have a good general quality level in their developments.
- Use an OSI approved license.
- Not have a partner license agreement (CLA).
About the applications in particular, ask that they comply with the following:
- Use the GNOME platform, including GTK.
- They are available to be installed as Flatpak.
- They integrate very well with the GNOME Desktop, including one that has an application icon and comes with a description and screenshots that appear in the software application.
- Have a well-designed user interface that generally follows GNOME conventions.
About libraries in particular, ask that they comply with the following:
- Extend the GNOME platform features and target glib-based applications.
- Follow the GNOME coding guidelines.
- They can be used by at least one other project or application.
- Please provide some documentation (at least API reference documents).
Applications integrated into GNOME CIRCLE so far
Until now they can be counted 29 applications and 4 libraries, on the web of
«GNOME CIRCLE», among which the following can be highlighted:
- Blanket (App)
- dialect (App)
- Markets (App)
- short wave (App)
- ASHPD (lib)
- libmanette (lib)
- RetroGTK (lib)
- ZBus (lib)
We hope this "useful little post" about
«GNOME CIRCLE», an interesting and valuable project created by and for the "GNOME" Community, in order to expand your ecosystem of applications and libraries, with own and third party developments; is of great interest and utility, for the entire
«Comunidad de Software Libre y Código Abierto» and of great contribution to the diffusion of the wonderful, gigantic and growing ecosystem of applications of
For now, if you liked this
publicación, Do not stop share it with others, on your favorite websites, channels, groups or communities of social networks or messaging systems, preferably free, open and / or more secure as Telegram, Signal, Mastodon or another of Fediverse, preferably.
And remember to visit our home page at «FromLinux» to explore more news, as well as join our official channel of Telegram from DesdeLinux. While, for more information, you can visit any Online library and OpenLibra y jedit, to access and read digital books (PDFs) on this topic or others.