Social networks increasingly influence people and companies, that need for communication has allowed millions of people to interact quickly and from anywhere, there are many social networks, even categorized and segmented by tastes and purposes. In How to have your own social network with HumHub, you will be able to access a platform that will allow you to create, configure and adapt a social network for the purposes you want.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is HumHub?
- 2 Why use HumHub?
- 3 HumHub Features
- 4 Try HumHub Online
- 5 How to install HumHub
- 5.1 General Requirements to install HumHub
- 5.2 Optional Requirements to install HumHub
- 5.3 Debian / Ubuntu packages to install HumHub
- 5.4 Preparing to install HumHub
- 5.5 Downloading HumHub
- 5.6 Setting up HumHub
- 5.7 Launching the HumHub Installer
- 5.8 Disable Errors / Debugging
What is HumHub?
HumHub is a free and open source software, developed in Php with the Yii Framework, which provides a lightweight, powerful and easy-to-use toolkit that allows you to create and launch your own social network.
HumHub it supports themes and modules that extend functionality for almost all requirements.
HumHub it can be used for communication and internal collaboration, which can range from a few users to large Intranets used in companies with hundreds and thousands of employees. HumHub allows you to boost your business, support your clients, teach your students or organize your soccer team. Its use is on you.
HumHub is perfect for:
- Social intranets
- Social Networking for Business
- Private Social Networks
Why use HumHub?
HumHub It offers us 4 main benefits, which make it an ideal tool to create our social network.
- HumHub is open: It is completely open source. This allows you to take advantage of the work already done and even improve it. In the same way you can contribute suggestions or solve problems which are received by the community.
- HumHub is flexible: With a powerful module system can be expanded HumHub through the use of third-party tools, developing your own functionalities or connecting with existing software.
- HumHub is safe: Your server, your data, your rules. HumHub it is a self-hosted solution and works on almost all servers. You are in full control of your data.
- HumHub has great support: It has a great community and a company that nor they leave you alone. They support you with your projects and provide professional services around HumHub.
HumHub allows the creation of "spaces"
Communication in HumHub works with spaces. A space can literally be anything, a project, a group, or just a simple theme. For each space you can invite multiple users and set your own access rights and rules.
HumHub allows you to have your own electronic personal card
HumHub allows you to expand your profile, create your portfolio, connect with other people, find the right person with special skills, inform your followers of your updates, among other qualities thanks to its digital vCard. La vCard It is a standard format used to exchange contact information, it can also be called Electronic Business Cards and it is the equivalent of our conventional business cards.
HumHub gives us unlimited possibilities
With modules you can modify anything in HumHub. Spaces, profiles and other things according to your needs. Anything that is missing in other social networks can be built.
Some modules are available in the HumHub marketplace, which can be installed at any time.
Other HumHub Features
- Notifications: NIt keeps you informed about the things that interest us.
- Activity Traffic: Allows you to view jobs and communications easily.
- Simple and Usable Board: Description and quick access to the most important information
- Groups: Organize users in departments, branches, or anything else.
- Directory: Find spaces, users and groups in an orderly way.
- Records: Share documents, multimedia files and discuss about them.
- Public Access: It also allows content to be shared with unregistered users.
- Search: Find people, discussions and files easily.
- Mobile version: It is used with all kinds of modern devices, such as smartphones and tablets.
- And much more
Try HumHub Online
You can try HumHub Online, starting with a free plan. This is limited to 3 users y500 MB storage. You can update your plan at any time on the HumHub dashboard.
How to install HumHub
General Requirements to install HumHub
- PHP 5.4 +
- Shell access (eg ssh) to server
- Apache 2.x
- PHP CUrl Extension (w / SSL Support)
- PHP Multibyte String Support
- PHP PDO MySQL Extension
- PHP Zip Extension
- PHP EXIF Extension
- PHP INTL Extension
- PHP FileInfo Extension
Optional Requirements to install HumHub
- PHP LDAP Support
- PHP APC
- PHP Memcached
- Apache XSendfile
Debian / Ubuntu packages to install HumHub
- php5 mysql
- php5-ldap (optional)
- php-apc (optional)
- php5-memcached (optional)
- libapache2-mod-xsendfile (optional)
Preparing to install HumHub
Create a MySQL database:
CREATE DATABASE `humhub` CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci; GRANT ALL ON `humhub`.* TO `humhub_dbuser`@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'password_changeme'; FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
Download HumHub from the main website
The easiest way to get HumHub is direct download of the complete package. This package already includes all external dependencies and does not require a composer update. Once the download is complete, simply extract the package to the htdocs folder on your web server.
Download HumHub from github
In order to install a git branch, you will have to run a composer update to download external dependencies.
- Clone Git repository:
git clone https://github.com/humhub/humhub.git
- Switch to stable branch (recommended):
git checkout stable
- Install composer (https://getcomposer.org/doc/00-intro.md)
- Go to the HumHub webroot and search for dependencies:
php composer.phar global require "fxp/composer-asset-plugin:~1.1.1" php composer.phar update
Setting up HumHub
Create the following directories so that they can be written by the webserver:
- / assets
- / protected / config /
- / protected / modules
- / protected / runtime
- / uploads / *
Create the following executable files:
- / protected / yii
Make sure that the following directories are not accessible by the webserver
(These folders are protected by default with ".htaccess")
- uploads / file
Launching the HumHub Installer
Open the installation guide in your browser (for example, http://localhost/humhub)
Depending on the environment you are using, you may want to specify a local or remote SMTP server. You can change the mail server settings in
Administration -> Mailing -> Server Settings.
By default PHP Mail Transport is used. http://php.net/manual/en/mail.setup.php
Enabling URL Rewriting (Optional)
Rename .htaccess.dist a .htaccess Modify the local configuration (protected / config / common.php):
<?php return [ 'components' => [ 'urlManager' => [ 'showScriptName' => false, 'enablePrettyUrl' => true, ], ] ];
Enable Cron Jobs
- Daily Cron:
> yii cron/daily
- Cron per Hour:
> yii cron/hourly
30 * * * * /path/to/humhub/protected/yii cron/hourly >/dev/null 2>&1 00 18 * * * /path/to/humhub/protected/yii cron/daily >/dev/null 2>&1
Disable Errors / Debugging
- Modify index.php in the root directory of humhub
// comment out the following two lines when deployed to production // defined('YII_DEBUG') or define('YII_DEBUG', true); // defined('YII_ENV') or define('YII_ENV', 'dev');
- Eliminate index-test.php in the root directory of humhub if it exists
With this we learned to How to have your own social network with HumHub, the customization part and others is quite explained in the official manuals, in the same way if you have any questions, do not help in writing us ... What will your Social Network be about?