Continuing with the theme of Useful games, applications and / or videogame platforms on GNU / Linux, to ratify and demonstrate that our Free and Open Operating Systems can be and are, just as good, as others for this purpose, we will address the issue of Itch.io.
Certainly still GNU / Linux may be behind Windows or MacOS in some aspects, but this is often due to the lack of interest on the part of the industries of the technological or commercial sector, such as the video game, and not for a technical limitation of this our appreciated GNU / Linux or lack of support from the Community of developers or users. And although, for now Windows remain the undisputed dominator in this area, it is also true that GNU / Linux it has come a long way in this area.
Quoting its creators in its Official website:
"Itch.io is an open marketplace for independent digital creators with a focus on independent video games. It is a platform that allows anyone to sell the content they have created. As a seller, you are in charge of how it is done: you set the price, make the sales and design your pages. You never need to get votes, likes, or followings for your content to be approved, and you can make changes to the way you distribute your work as often as you like. Itch.io is also a collection of some of the most unique, interesting, and independent creations you'll find on the web. We are not the typical digital store, with a wide range of content, both paid and free, we encourage you to look around and see what you find".
Table of Contents
Characteristics of the platform
- It gives creators the tools to make smart decisions about how to distribute their content. Creators have access to detailed analysis and how people discover, download or reproduce what they have created. Provides easy access to data on the loads that resonate the most or the links that attract the most attention.
- It makes it easy for creators to collect money for their creations in a non-intrusive way. No matter how big or small the project, the process is always straightforward for fans to donate or pay what they think is fair.
- It establishes that all purchases and donations are paid above the minimum. However, the minimum price can be set to zero (free), but with the possibility that fans can choose to support the creator if they like what he offers.
- It supports pre-ordering, selling rewards, creating early access content, bundling your content, and even crowdfunding with project goals.
- Download the Linux application on your Download Section.
- Execution via Terminal (Console) of the downloaded package located in the Download folder, using the command:
chmod +x Descarga/itch-setup && Descargas/itch-setup.
- Wait for the rest of the application to be downloaded and the subsequent execution of its registration interface.
- Register on the platform or log in with our current user account.
- From now on we can explore the entire platform, and buy and / or download its available games.
Note: It is important to remember that it has many free games for GNU / Linux that can be viewed, downloaded and played without any problem, accessing them by selecting the label «linuxgames«.
Alternatives to Itch.io
On GNU / Linux or Multiplatforms
In short, how can we appreciate our GNU / Linux Operating Systems are currently totally valid or eligible to play, games of different graphic qualities and fame levels, although the available offer is not as great as in Windows.
But, the current catalog is not only very large but it continues to grow with each passing day, in quantity and quality. And while, the market share of GNU / Linux in this area, more companies and developers will be interested in our excellent platform GNU / Linux for your products.
We hope this "useful little post" about
«Itch.io», another phenomenal online open platform and app of games, commercial and free, free and open and also
to GNU / Linux and other operating system platforms, is of great interest and utility, for the entire
«Comunidad de Software Libre y Código Abierto» and of great contribution to the diffusion of the wonderful, gigantic and growing ecosystem of applications of
And for more information, always do not hesitate to visit any Online library and OpenLibra y jedit to read books (PDFs) on this topic or others knowledge areas. For now, if you liked this
«publicación», don't stop sharing it with others, in your Favorite websites, channels, groups, or communities of social networks, preferably free and open as Mastodon, or secure and private like Telegram.
Or simply visit our home page at FromLinux or join the official Channel Telegram from DesdeLinux to read and vote for this or other interesting publications on
«GNU/Linux» and other topics related to
«Informática y la Computación», and the