Linux schools is a distribution created under the profile of use of FOSS, oriented to educational purposes . It is developed to implement in basic education, the use of free software. It is a program created by the Zacatecas Secretary of Education (Mexico), developed as a project of the General Coordination of Information and Communication Technologies "Digital Agenda" of the state government.
Among some of its characteristics we can define the following:
- This distribution also adheres to the installation of Bodhi linux. A distribution characterized by being very light and which is established in Ubuntu; another Linux distribution that is defined as being focused on desktop computers.
- Linux schools can be used in equipment 32 and 64 bits. Characterized by being a fairly light distribution. For the 32-bit version, it is recommended that the computer has a RAM memory of at least 256 MB and 40 GB of space on the hard disk. And for the 64-bit version on computers with 4 GB of RAM.
- For its installation, Escuelas Linux gives you a user account that is located fully configured. Among the benefits of this, the user does not need to download any type of file or modify it. There is no need to compile an application since they have all their elements and complete configurations.
- There are the necessary security measures to protect the configuration of the account that the user has. But if this measure is necessary, the person in charge of supervising the executed tasks can restore the account if he wishes.
- Schools Linux is offered in Spanish Language, designed for the public in Latin America, and also available in English language.
- It has a use of two own portals, to raise awareness of Web education. First of all we have the Diploma «Information and Communication Technologies Applied to Teaching and Learning Processes in Basic Education» that you work through the internet. And the portal formacioncontinuazac.gob.mx/cursos and educa.on-rev.com/cursos, designed for teachers who wish to work with the modality of online courses or distance relationship, developed using the platform Moodle.
- Use the graphical interface Enlightenment, which is characterized by a fairly low resource consumption.
- Among the different tools that we find in the distribution we have: OpenOffice, LibreOffice y FreeOffice.
- Work with different browsers; Opera, Chrome, Firefox and Midori.
- Some of the applications available in the distribution are; KTurtle, Geogebra and GCompris, which are characterized to work in the area of science such as chemistry and mathematics.
Currently we can find different versions for Linux Schools; from 3.1 to 4.0 and 4.1. But the latest version, Schools Linux 4.2 is available now.
For this latest version, the presence of the name "Ubuntu" in the Start menu was modified, to now have the name "Schools Linux" in it. In addition, the installation manual has been updated.
Among the updated programs for this update we have:
- LibreOffice 5.0.3
- Mozilla Firefox 42
- Google Chrome 46
- Adobe Flash 20151110.1
- Live Code 7.1.0
- Geogebra 5.0.170
If you want more information on how to install Linux schools on your computer, here is a link where you can access to download the Installation Manual.