Only 2 days to go may 2020, as always at the end of each month, we see that there are many news, tutorials, manuals, guides, or publications highlighted on the field of Free Software, Open Source and GNU / Linux, which will be very useful to us to share again, both for those who have already seen them, and for those who have not.
Accordingly, today we will offer our customary review of the publications of the month that we consider the most documentsBoth good as bad, to provide a useful little grain of sand for all.
We hope, that as usual, our good summary on the good, the bad and the interesting, inside and outside the Blog DesdeLinux be useful for those who want to keep up to date on our publications, and related topics Informatics and Computing, and the Technological News, since, sometimes many do not usually have the daily time to see and read them all.
Table of Contents
May 2020 Summary
- Pkg2appimage: How to build our own AppImage files?: AppImage is a format for distributing portable software on GNU / Linux without the need for superuser permissions to install the application. And the Pkg2appimage tool is used to build (convert) AppImage applications from others already created under other formats.
- Borg Backup: A Good Backup Management System: Borg Backup is a deduplication backup program. Optionally, it supports compression and authenticated encryption. And its main goal is to provide an efficient and secure way to back up data.
- Veloren: open source video game inspired by Cube World: Veloren is quite an interesting open source video game title. It is based on Cube World, with a very characteristic open world style that also combines an RPG theme. It is completely free, and compatible with Windows, Linux and macOS.
- Popcorn Time repository was blocked after complaint: A few days ago, GitHub, blocked the repository of the open project "Popcorn Time" after receiving a complaint from Motion Picture Association, Inc. (MPA). This block was derived from the complaint of a violation of the Digital Age Copyright Act (DMCA) in the United States.
- Github crashes continue and now it was the turn of a Kodi addon: Now the MPA together with Amazon demanded that GitHub block the user account MrBlamo6969 which is in charge of the Blamo repository and the add-on "Chocolate Salty Balls" which are used in Kodi Media Center.
- Telegram has abandoned the blockchain platform "TON": Pavel Durov announced the completion of the project to develop the TON platform and the Gram cryptocurrency due to the inability to work under the prohibition measures introduced by the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and with it the participation of Telegram in the development of TON it is completely suspended.
- QT Creator: An ideal cross-platform IDE for Qt developers: Qt Creator is an open source cross-platform IDE specially designed for Qt application developers, since it focuses on providing special features in this language, for easy learning and implementation.
- Resetter: How to reset our Debian / Ubuntu based Distros?: Resetter is an open source tool, developed in python and pyqt that allows us to restore a Debian or Ubuntu based distro to its original state, without the need to use a distro image or complex package removal processes and so on.
- Winget, the new open package manager developed by Microsoft: A few days ago Microsoft developers announced the publication of the first test version of their open package manager "winget" (Windows Package Manager).
Other Recommended Posts of May 2020
- LibreOffice 6.4.4 is now available with many improvements
- Ubuntu Touch OTA-12 officially arrives as "the biggest update ever released"
- Kali Linux 2020.2 is here with a new theme for KDE Plasma
- Godot 4.0: the open source graphics engine continues to advance
- Linux 5.7-rc5: new release candidate for final version
May 2020 Distros Releases
- Linux Kodachi 7.0: 2020-05-25
- Red Core Linux 2004: 2020-05-24
- GoboLinux 01: 2020-05-24
- NutyX 11.5: 2020-05-21
- OpenBSD 6.7: 2020-05-19
- BackBox Linux 7: 2020-05-15
- UBports 16.04 OTA-12: 2020-05-14
- Finnix 120: 2020-05-14
- Kali Linux 2020.2: 2020-05-12
- Q4OS 3.11: 2020-05-12
- Proxmox 6.2 "Virtual Environment": 2020-05-12
- Zentyal Server 6.2: 2020-05-08
- Elive 3.8.12 (Beta): 2020-05-08
- SparkyLinux 2020.05: 2020-05-06
- Clonezilla Live 2.6.6-15: 2020-05-06
- Tails 4.6: 2020-05-06
- Indiana Open 2020.04: 2020-05-05
- TurnKey Linux 16.0: 2020-05-04
- KaOS 2020.05: 2020-05-03
- Endless OS 3.8.0: 2020-05-02
- Basic OS 5.1.4: 2020-05-02
- SimplicityLinux 20.4: 2020-05-01
- GhostBSD 20.04: 2020-05-01
- Pop! _OS 20.04: 2020-05-01
As usual, we hope this "useful little summary" with the highlights inside and outside the blog
«DesdeLinux» for the month of
«mayo» 2020 year, is of great interest and utility, for the entire
«Comunidad de Software Libre y Código Abierto» and of great contribution to the diffusion of the wonderful, gigantic and growing ecosystem of applications of and for
And for more information, always do not hesitate to visit any Online library and OpenLibra y jedit to read books (PDFs) on this topic or others knowledge areas. For now, if you liked this
«publicación», don't stop sharing it with others, in your Favorite websites, channels, groups, or communities of social networks, preferably free and open as Mastodon, or secure and private like Telegram.
Or simply visit our home page at FromLinux or join the official Channel Telegram from DesdeLinux to read and vote for this or other interesting publications on
«GNU/Linux» and other topics related to
«Informática y la Computación», and the