SpaceVim is a distribution of the popular and well-known Vim editor which is inspired by spacemacs. This is in charge of managing and organizing the plugin collections layered, which help collect related packages to provide inherent characteristics of integrated development environments adapted for the development of different languages
The complements they are grouped into collections with the implementation of certain features. For example, the python layer collects deoplete.nvim, neomake, and jedi-vim to provide auto-completion, syntax checking, and documentation search.
This approach helps keep setup organized and reduces user overhead by avoiding them having to think about which packages to install.
Therefore, the user only needs to select the necessary functionality without the need for a separate selection of plugins.
Its main features include:
- Neovim centric
- Modular configuration
- Load 90% of plugins with [dein.vim]
- Robust, yet lightweight
- Join focused workflow
- Awesome ui
- Language specific mode
- Extensive Neocomplete configuration
- Central location for labels
- Light simple / tabline state
- Color combinations
In SpaceVim there are related development modules, Each module provides code completion, syntax checking, formatting, debugging, and REPL.
Notably do not confuse between SpaceVim and Neovim, since some think that they are the same or similar projects.
Neovim is more than a rewrite of vim. Its main functionality is to provide a server that allows other editors to edit a buffer in response to keystrokes.
While SpaceVim is just a vim configuration. Users are also not sure of SapceVim's performance and are comparing it to Spacemacs, a configuration framework for GNU Emacs.
About the new version of SpaceVim 1.1
After a 4-month development period, a new version of the SpaceVim 1.1 project was recently released.
The new version adds popup support (for example, to display documentation and search results via flygrep).
In addition to it menu for fzf search plugin implemented and a set for developers in the Rust language.
On the other hand, we can also highlight that the link on the "git log" command and the defx file manager was added to the project.
New features in this version include:
- Adding a floating window allows you to find matches.
- Windows version adds defx and Disk Explorer support, and the default key binds to SPC fd:
- Enhance the iedit mode, add the iedit-normal syx commands, and add the iedit-insert commands Ctrl-e, Ctrl-a, Ctrl-b, and Ctrl-f.
- The fzf module improved and support for the fzf menu was added.
Installing SpaceVim is pretty straightforward. For those interested in being able to carry out the You must open a terminal and in it we are going to type the following command:
curl -sLf https://spacevim.org/install.sh | bash
Installation on Docker
There is also another installation method for SpaceVim and it is with the help of docker, so SpaceVim can run inside a container.
For this they only have to have Docker support installed and in a terminal we are going to execute the following commands:
docker pull spacevim/spacevim
docker run -it --rm spacevim/spacevim nvim
docker run -it -v ~/.SpaceVim.d:/home/spacevim/.SpaceVim.d --rm spacevim/spacevim nvim
After installing SpaceVim, let's start vim and SpaceVim will install the plugins automatically. After having carried out the installation, the SpaceVim structure is made up of the following:
- config / - Configuration
- plugins / - Plugin settings
- mappings.vim - key mappings
- autocmds.vim - autocmd group
- general.vim - General configuration
- init.vim - runtimepath initialization
- neovim.vim - Neovim specific settings
- plugins.vim - plugin packages
- command.vim - Commands
- functions.vim - Functions
- main.vim - Main configuration
- ftplugin / - Language specific custom settings
- Code snippets / - Code snippets
- filetype.vim - Custom file type detection
- init.vim - Fuentesconfig / main.vim
- vimrc - Fuentesconfig / main.vim
For more information about SpaceVim as well as to edit the configuration file of SpaceVim you can visit its official website. He link is this.