Storj: a new model for monetizing open source projects

storj-featured

Se expects the cloud storage market to grow to $ 92.49 trillion by 2022. The market is currently dominated by tech giants like Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and IBM.

Today, cloud computing is a completely centralized environment where the service provider has full control over the data stored in their cloud.

Each filtering bag Service providers storage Centralized cloud companies charge a significant fee for their services.

These fees may not mean much to larger companies, smaller companies may feel the pinch.

About centralized services

Amazon, for example, charges $ 23 per month for the storage service they provide.

While they may not handle the data in an unethical way, they still have the ability to use data analytics.

In some cases, cloud storage providers also can use data stored on their servers to target personalized ads to the owner of the data, something that many companies consider intrusive.

Worst of all, cloud platforms today operate on a server model that has a single point of failure, making data breaches much more likely.

Decentralized cloud

Decentralized cloud storage it is a service that has already begun to consolidate in the daily process of companies and businesses.

Service providers such as Storj and Siacoin have already built a credible market presence by offering a level of security that client-server cloud providers cannot match.

Storj is a fully decentralized storage solution and open source that offers a business model similar to Airbnb for users who have additional storage and bandwidth.

At Open Source Summit North America, Storj announced a new program that extends the revenue generation model to open source projects.

The recently announced "Open Source Partner Program" enables open source projects to generate revenue every time their users store data in the cloud.

"Our Open Source Partner Program will help open source companies stay open and free and invest in growth," said Storj CEO Ben Golub.

In fact, the program can be a great help for open source projects that are often limited by budget.

"It will also enable them to achieve more within their budgets, helping them become profitable, speeding up roadmaps or meeting other finance-related goals," added Golub.

Storj-header

Storj tracks network usage and returns a significant portion of earned revenue when data from an open source project is stored on the platform.

Some open source projects are joining Storj and integrating it with your products. These projects include Confluent, Couchbase, FileZilla, InfluxData, MariaDB, Minio, MongoDB, Nextcloud, Pydio, and Zenko.

On a side note, if you have additional storage and network bandwidth, you can also join Storj as an individual.

How does this relate to the monetization of open source projects?

Storj pprovides encrypted and distributed cloud storage blockchain east uses shared spare disk disk space by storage node operators.

They are called "farmers" to create a secure network for developers, operations teams, businesses, and others who need secure cloud storage. By using client-side encryption.

Storj ensures that the data can only be accessed by the owners of the data. Storj's distributed architecture, its manufacturers claim, protects against attacks, improves reliability, and improves performance compared to traditional cloud storage approaches.

The Storj network, Unlike conventional cloud storage, it will provide a sustainable revenue stream for open source projects using the Storj network. Storj, Golub said, gives 60 percent of its gross revenue to its storage farmers and splits the remaining 40 percent with open source developers.


The content of the article adheres to our principles of editorial ethics. To report an error click here!.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

*

*

  1. Responsible for the data: Miguel Ángel Gatón
  2. Purpose of the data: Control SPAM, comment management.
  3. Legitimation: Your consent
  4. Communication of the data: The data will not be communicated to third parties except by legal obligation.
  5. Data storage: Database hosted by Occentus Networks (EU)
  6. Rights: At any time you can limit, recover and delete your information.