Recently the launch of the new version of Ubuntu Touch OTA-21 was announced and in this new version, improvements and bug fixes have been made and also the Greeter redesign stands out, as well as the storage statistics and more were revised.
Community UBports, is the one that continues to maintain Ubuntu Touch for a variety of mobile devices. For those who were left with the idea that Ubuntu Touch had been abandoned for good, it really wasn't.
After the abandonment of Ubuntu Touch development by Canonical, The UBports team led by Marius Gripsgard was the one who took back the reins to continue with the project.
Ubports is basically a foundation whose mission is to support the collaborative development of Ubuntu Touch and promote widespread use. from Ubuntu Touch. The foundation provides legal, financial and organizational support to the entire community.
It also serves as an independent legal entity to which community members can contribute code, funding, and other resources, with the knowledge that their contributions will be kept for the public benefit.
About Ubuntu Touch OTA-21
This new version of Ubuntu Touch OTA-21 still based on Ubuntu 16.04, But more recently, the efforts of the developers have focused on preparing for the upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04.
From the changes in OTA-21, the display with information on the fullness of the units has been redesigned, the number of categories has been expanded, and the accuracy of information about free space on system partitions has been improved.
It is also mentioned that the appearance of the interface shown before unlocking the screen was changed, which provides several different styles, which are selected based on the use of PIN or password for unlocking.
In addition, it is also highlighted that has been prepared for use in devices with Halium 10 interlayer, which provides a low-level layer to simplify hardware support. For Halium 9 compatible devices, plugins are included to enable magnetometer and compass sensors.
The service has been rewritten Media-Hub, which is responsible for playing audio and video applications, as well as the associated client library, which ise has been translated to use Qt classes to reduce the number of dependencies and simplify codebase maintenance.
And also mentioned the rework also allowed us to reduce the size of the qtubuntu-media plugin (provided by the QtMultimedia API) on disk, get rid of unnecessary layers and reduce memory consumption.
Of the bugs and issues fixed:
- Adding a new APN entry on a Halium 9 device will now be properly preserved
- MMS can also be retrieved when in 2G network mode only
- MMS that could not be downloaded will now be displayed with a red warning text and the user has the option to try to download them again. There is a little problem with that - make sure the network connection is established before hitting the download button, otherwise the connection might be tried forever and there will be no real timeout to reset the model user interface. This will be fixed in the next version
- User metrics (the statistics information inside the lock screen circle) were showing nothing on Halium 9 devices
- Selecting contacts in the messaging app now works correctly when an item (such as a contact) is shared on it: contacts can be added with the plus sign, before this finally shows the recipient details and does not add them to the field To:.
- Also fixed a frequent crash in the messaging app at startup, which seems to have affected only certain devices
Finally if you are interested in knowing more about it About this new released version, you can check the details in the following link.
Get Ubuntu Touch OTA-21
For those who are interested in this new Ubuntu Touch OTA-18 update, you should know that it has support for OnePlus One, Fairphone 2, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Meizu MX4 / PRO 5, VollaPhone, Bq Aquaris E5 / E4.5 / M10 , Sony Xperia X / XZ, OnePlus 3 / 3T, Xiaomi Redmi 4X, Huawei Nexus 6P, Sony Xperia Z4 tablet, Google Pixel 3a, OnePlus Two, F (x) tec Pro1 / Pro1 X, Xiaomi Redmi Note 7, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Xiaomi Mi A2 and Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo + (GT-I9301I).
For existing Ubuntu Touch users on the stable channel they will receive the OTA update through the System Configuration Updates screen.
While, in order to receive the update immediately, just enable ADB access and run the following command on 'adb shell':
sudo system-image-cli -v -p 0 --progress dots
With this the device will download the update and install it. This process may take a while, depending on your download speed.