After 3 weeks after our second part of this series, today we share this third part on how "improve MX-21" y Debian 11. What includes not only some useful and practical packages for specific purposes but some extra applications that are worth installing on any GNU / Linux Operating System.
And do not forget that, the ideal with respect to these proposed and recommended packages to install, whether they seem necessary or useful, in the short or medium term, both to know them and to use them, it is that they previously study them, preferably by clicking here: List of Debian Packages.
And as usual, before entering fully into today's topic with this third part on how to further optimize MXLinux version 21 y Debian GNU/Linux version 11, we will leave for those interested in exploring the first 2 parts of this series, the following links to them. So that you can easily explore it, if necessary, after finishing reading this publication:
"So much «MX Linux 21» and Debian GNU / Linux 11 were released a few months ago, and are in the Top 10 Top Rated GNU / Linux Distros on DistroWatch, in position 01 and position 07 respectively, we will do here our usual tutorial or guide of which activities and packages can be performed and installed for optimize and improve them su performance and functionality." MX-21: How to update and optimize this Distro based on Debian 11?
Table of Contents
Improving MX-21 / Debian-11: More packages to try
How to upgrade MX-21 and Debian-11?
Package for advanced support of the Operating System
This includes packages (programs, utilities and libraries) to facilitate the work of specialized users, in the areas Multimedia, Games, Development and Servers.
«sudo apt install autoconf automake build-essential dkms fastjar g++ gawk gcc gcc-multilib gettext gettext-base intltool intltool-debian jarwrapper linux-headers-$(uname -r) mawk mesa-common-dev minizip nasm perl perl-base perl-modules-5.32 pkg-config python-apt-common subversion wx-common wx3.0-headers zlib1g»
«sudo apt install libalien-wxwidgets-perl libc6 libcurl3-gnutls libgcc1 libgl1-mesa-dev libglade2-0 libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-bin libglib2.0-data libglibmm-2.4-1v5 libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common libguichan-sdl-0.8.1-1v5 liblocale-gettext-perl libpcre16-3 libmodule-pluggable-perl libpng16-16 libsdl-perl libsdl2-2.0-0 libstdc++6 libtool libvorbisenc2 libwx-perl libxcb-xtest0 libxcb-xv0 libxml2 libxml2-utils libxv1 libxvmc1 libxxf86vm-dev debhelper devhelp debmake libpng-tools anjuta»
«sudo apt install libbz2-dev libcdio-cdda-dev libcdio-dev libcdio-paranoia-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglade2-dev libglib2.0-dev libglibmm-2.4-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgmp3-dev libgtk-3-dev libgtk2.0-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libsdl-console-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-net1.2-dev libsdl-ocaml-dev libsdl-pango-dev libsdl-perl libsdl-sge-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsdl2-dev libsdl2-image-dev libsdl2-mixer-dev libsdl2-net-dev libsdl2-ttf-dev libsigc++-2.0-dev libsndfile1-dev libwxbase3.0-dev libxml2-dev libxtst-dev libxv-dev libxxf86vm-dev zlib1g-dev x11proto-record-dev»
Although, there are so many alternatives and application options to install to successfully carry out each type of activity, below we offer 3 good alternatives to know and try in each work scenario that arises:
- Web browsers: Firefox, Brave and Falcon.
- File explorers: Thunar, Nautilus, and Dolphin.
- Office Suite: LibreOffice, OnlyOffice and WPS.
- Advanced Document Editing: Scribus, Day and SK1.
- Compressed Document Handling: Ark, B1 Free Archiver and Xarchiver.
- PDF Document Management: Evince, Okular and Zthura.
- EPUB Document Management: Gauge, Foliate and Books.
- Text Editors: Gedit, Mousepad and FeatherPad.
- Email Suite: Evolution, Thunderbird and Claws Mail.
- Multimedia Players: VLC, Lollypop, Music.
- Multimedia Centers: Kodi, Plex and OSMC.
- Image Viewers: Nomacs, Gwenview and Mirage.
- instant messengers: Jami, Telegram and Discord.
- Desktop Launchers: Ulauncher, Albert and Brain.
- technical tools: GParted, Stacer and BleachBit.
- download managers: qbittorrent, Transmission and JDownloader2.
- screen capturers: Ksnip, FlameShot and Show.
- desktop recorders: SimpleScreenRecorder, voko screen y Kazam.
- wallpaper managers: Variety, Superpaper and Komorebi.
- Disk Image Managers to USB: Etcher, Ventoy and USBImager.
- learning and education: Geogebra, GCompris and Klettres/Kalgebra.
- Scientific and technological activities: Stellarium, SciLab and GNU Octave.
- data backups: Timeshift, LuckyBackup and Rsync/GRsync.
- Online storage and synchronization: syncthing, Librevault y FreeFileSync.
- password managers: KeePassX, KeePass Password Safe and KeePassXC.
- Safe web browsing: OpenVPN, WireGuard and Shadowsocks.
- Operating System Protection: AppArmor, SELinux and Firejail.
- Basic Computer Security: GUFW, Tor Browser and ClamAV/ClamTk.
- Advanced Computer Security: Rkhunter, Firetools and Veracrypt.
- Secure web plugins: uBlock Origin, LocalCDN and Privacy Redirect.
- Audio and Sound: Ardor, Audacity and LMMS.
- Graphic Design: blender, Wings 3D and Natron.
- Video and Movies: Kdenlive, ShotCut and DaVinci Resolve.
- Images and Photographs: GIMP, DarkTable, Inkscape and Krita.
- online video streaming: OBS Studio, Open Streaming Platform and owncast.
- 2D/3D CAD Design: Synfig Studio, LibreCAD and FreeCAD.
Use Fun (Gaming)
- Game Centers: Steam, Lutris and Heroic Game Launcher.
- Apps and Games Emulators: Wine, Q4Wine and Playonlinux.
- Console Emulators: Yuzu, RPCS3 and Dolphin.
- Games: 0AD, UrbanTerror and SuperTuxKart.
Technical Use and Development
- IDEs: Atom, Brackets and Sublime Text.
- HTML editors: BlueGriffon, Bluefish and CodeLobster.
- Desktop SSOO Virtualizers: VirtualBox, Boxes, and Quemu/KVM.
- Mobile SSOO Virtualizers: Genymotion, AnBox and Waydroid.
- app containers: Docker, P.odman and LXC.
In the next installment, we will concentrate only on customization tips to get to have a "MX-21" o Debian-11, so complete, efficient and beautiful, like the one I am now using, and with which I replaced my previous Respin (Snapshot) based MX-19, and what is called Miracles. As I show in the following screenshots:
In short, we hope that some or all of these mentioned and recommended packages and apps, together with those of the previous deliveries, serve to "Improve MX-21" y Debian 11. And therefore, they are very useful to all users of them. Also, do not forget to make careful use of this application and package guidefor that improve performance and usability of both GNU / Linux Distros, which are usually widely used by the IT Linuxera Community.
We hope that this publication is very useful for the entire
«Comunidad de Software Libre, Código Abierto y GNU/Linux». And don't forget to comment on it below, and share it with others on your favorite websites, channels, groups or communities of social networks or messaging systems. Finally, visit our home page at «FromLinux» to explore more news, and join our official channel Telegram from DesdeLinux.