Some days ago the release of the new version of yt-dlp was announced, which is a utility to download audio and video from services like YouTube. The utility is a fork of youtube-dl based on the youtube-dlc project, which is not currently being developed.
Since so far we can notice the stagnation of the development of the original youtube-dl project, since its last release took place on June 5, 2021 and since then there have been no new releases, despite the presence of a series of new confirmations in the master branch.
At the same time, some nasty bugs (for example, problems downloading YouTube videos with age restrictions) remain uncorrected, which, coupled with the notorious lack of activity, raises various questions from users.
The main focus of yt-dlp development is adding new features and fixes, as well as keeping all the relevant features of the original project, such as format sorting - the default format sorting options have been changed so that higher resolution and better codecs are now preferred rather than just using a higher bitrate . Also, you can now specify the sort order using -S. This allows for much easier format selection than is possible simply by using –format.
Likewise that most of the features from other youtube-dl forks have been imported, in particular the option «–write-comments» (loading of video comments in infojson), embedding of previews in mp4 / ogg / opus and others.
Among the new features of yt-dlp missing from the original are:
- Use the SponsorBlock API to remove / flag sponsored posts on YouTube videos.
- Ability to download YouTube Music albums.
- The ability to easily import cookies from the browser.
- Divide the video into chapters.
- Multi-threaded download of video clips.
- Possibility to use aria2c to download DASH (mpd) and HLS (m3u8).
- New video extractors
- All feeds (: ytfav,: ytwatchlater,: ytsubs,: ythistory,: ytrec) and supports private playlists download from multiple content pages
- Search (ytsearch :, ytsearchdate :), search urls and channel search work
- Mixes supports downloading of multiple content pages
- Partial solution for the limitation problem
- Automatically redirect channel / video start url to preserve old behavior
- Subtitle extraction from manifests: Subtitles can be extracted from broadcast media manifests.
- Multiple Output Templates and Paths - You can provide different output templates and download paths for different types of files.
- You can also set a temporary path where the intermediate files are downloaded using –paths (-P)
- Portable Configuration - Configuration files are automatically loaded from the root and home directories.
- Output template enhancements: Output templates can now be formatted for date and time, numeric offsets, object traversal, and more.
- Other new options: –print, –sleep-requests, –convert-thumbnails, –write-link, –force-download-archive, –force-overwrites, –break-on-rejectetc.
- Enhancements: Regex and other operators in –match-filter, faster multiple file check –postprocessor-argsy –downloader-args, more format selection options, and more.
Main news of yt-dlp 2021.09.02
In this new version it is highlighted that the implementation of the interaction with the SponsorBlock API was included, since previously, SponSkrub was used for this purpose.
Also added new options to delete or embed video chapters and experimental support for DASH manifests (you need ffmpeg with this patch).
As for extractors it is mentioned that numerous fixes were made in existing fans, in addition to new ones were also added, such as: BannedVideo, bilibili, Epicon, filmmodu, GabTV, Hungama, ManotoTV, Niconico, Patreon, peloton, ProjectVeritas, radiko, StarTV, tiktok, Tokentube, TV2Hu, voicy.
Finally if you are interested in knowing more about it of this project, you can check the details In the following link.
For those who are interested in being able to install this application, they can do it with pip:
python3 -m pip install --upgrade yt-dlp
Or another method is with:
sudo wget https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases/latest/download/yt-dlp -O /usr/local/bin/yt-dlp
sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/yt-dlp