Most of the users of technology are also passionate about games, to that passion, many of us add programming. But many of us set ourselves a real goal, which is to create our own games, which is why free software developers have taken on the task of creating Godot Engine.
This powerful tool helps us create games on Linux, which can be deployed in any operating system, using free tools.
Table of Contents
What is Godot Engine?
It is an application of open source y multi platform, which has advanced features for the 2D and 3D game development. Godot Engine brings together a series of powerful tools specialized in the creation of games, which gives us the opportunity to create games on Linux without having the need to reinvent the wheel.
Godot source code can be viewed and cloned here!, it is provided under the very permissive terms of the MIT License. It is also totally free and you do not require any type of royalties.
Godot Engine Features
- Excellent visual editor, with a large number of tools, added to a clean and orderly interface.
- Live game edition for both PC and mobile.
- 2D and 3D editing capabilities.
- Fully dedicated 2D engine.
- Flexible kinematic driver for collision without the physics.
- Importer of 3D models from 3DS Max, Maya, Blende, and others, including all animations.
- Various types of light, with shadow assignment.
- It allows all kinds of 2D and 3D animation, thanks to its powerful visual animation editor with timeline.
- Allows Add behavior to objects with built-in scripts.
- Godot works on Linux, Windows, OS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Haiku, it runs in 32-bit and 64-bit, on all platforms.
- It allows you to deploy games on various platforms easily and quickly, the most important are
- Mobile platforms: iOS, Android, BlackBerry OS.
- Desktop platforms: Windows, OS X, Linux, BSD, Haiku.
- Web platform: HTML5 (via emscripten).
- It is a tool designed and created to be collaborative, so it has the ability to integrate with popular version control systems (Git, Subversion, Mercurial, PlasticSCM,…).
- It allows you to create scene instances, which makes teamwork faster and more efficient, since each member of the team can focus on their own scene. Regardless of whether it is a character, the stage, etc ... That is, it is allowed to edit without stepping on the feet of others.
- Totally free and free.
Install Godot Engine
You can download the installation files from the following link:
You can also download a series of samples and demos from here.
Install Godot engine, with system integration and version manager in Ubuntu
Niklas Rosenqvist has created a BASH script that downloads and integrates the Godot engine to Ubuntu. It also allows version management and installs git master.
To download and run the script, open a console and enter the following command:
git clone https://github.com/nsrosenqvist/godot-wrapper.git godot && cd godot && ./godot install
This script will configure your Godot Engine automatically. See all the features the script provides by running
An excellent tool that we should try and learn to use, especially to create more and better Linux-compatible games.