Launch of the new version of the platform Nextcloud Hub 21, which provides a standalone solution to organize collaboration between employees of companies and teams that develop various projects.
Simultaneously published 21 underlying cloud platform Nextcloud Hub Nextcloud, allowing the cloud to expand support synchronization and data sharing, providing the ability to view and modify data from any device at any point on the network (or using the WebDAV web interface).
Main news of Nextcloud Hub 21
In this new version a new high-performance backend has been proposed for the File Sharing and Storage subsystem (Nextcloud Files), which significantly reduces polling load periodic status by desktop clients and web interface.
Besides that added a mechanism to send notifications about file changes, comments, calls, chat messages, and other storage-related events that support direct customer connection to customer.
The proposed system of notifications to the server allowed to increase periodic health polling period from 30 seconds to 5 minutes and reduce the number of connections between the servers and the client by 90%. The new backend code is written in Rust and is offered as an option.
Performance optimizations have been made to reduce page load time, speed up database queries, and reduce server load.
In some situations, it was possible to increase the responsiveness of the interface up to two times. Unified search optimization has been performed, in addition to being compatible with the PHP 8 interpreter, which was introduced by the JIT compiler.
The optimizations implemented in the server components related to caching, working with the database and the organization of storage, in combination with the new backend, allowed to increase the number of clients served up to 10 times.
On the other hand, it is mentioned that added a new whiteboard collaboration app which allows multiple users to draw shapes, write text, leave notes, upload images, and create presentations. Files created in Whiteboard are saved together with normal files, but are available for joint editing.
As well, chat visibility settings have been implemented, which can be used to provide access, even to invited participants, without the need to add to the chat.
A "raise your hand" button has been added to lectures to attract the attention of other participants, for example when there is an intention to ask a question or clarify something.
Of the other changes that stand out:
- In the mail client, Nextcloud Mail added support for drag and drop mode and the ability to create custom special folders.
- Handling of attachments has been improved and added the ability for the administrator to set a limit on the size of attachments.
- The ability to automatically extract avatars from social networks has been added to the address book.
- Added a walkie-talkie mode ("Push to talk") in which the microphone turns on only while the space bar is held down.
- The interface to make a call has been improved- A foldable call control panel and mode have been implemented to provide access to the entire screen.
- Reduced CPU load.
- Increased the size of image thumbnails in chat. Support for animated GIFs was added. Simplified access to configuration.
- Redesigned modules for integration with external services such as IRC, Slack and MS Teams.
By co-editing text in Nextcloud Text, it is possible to highlight changes made by different authors in colors.
- Added support for document templates to speed up the creation of frequently requested documents.
- The capabilities of the Nextcloud Talk, chat, and video conferencing applications have been significantly expanded.
- Added support for status indicators to help you assess whether all chat participants have seen a sent message.