I'll be back soon ...
I have been a little over a month in a row since after a discussion with the Ubuntuneros of the site, I decided to switch to OS X indefinitely and although I am 100% delighted in certain aspects, at the same time I feel that I lack a home ... soon I will use Linux as my main OS again, well, that as soon as the summer passes and I no longer have time to be playing formula 1 2012 (xD).
The reason for this post is rather simple, I want to do a bit of self-criticism in Linux and leave my wish list, something that I hope will soon change and get better and that they can surpass their proprietary rivals.
I remember that about a week ago Metalbyte told me that using OS X was worse than using Ubuntu, and maybe yes, if we consider this from a philosophical and not practical point of view, probably the Apple license is not to start crying ... (But let it be said ... the Darwin kernel is as free as Linux), but if we think about usability and default applications, Ubuntu is far behind, (KDE far exceeds OS X in options, yes), so I want to leave my wish list on the things I hope to see soon in Linux:
1) Facilitate default support for writing in Japanese characters, Koreans etc. Something that I liked a lot about OS X is the possibility to choose from the beginning in which language to write and change it easily. In Linux you can also, but you have to install some packages ..., which to my potato never finished going to me ..., if in this case I know, it is a layer 8 XDDDD error.
2) A more beautiful and functional music player. Although iTunes on Windows computers and somewhat old PCs can drag, in OS X it usually has very good performance, the truth is, I would like those music players that take more care of the interface (noise is an example), not to forget to add functionalities, such as equalizers, cover downloads, the store where you can download music, different album views and not just the classic stacked vertical view (clementine, amarok inside), a music store, and above all, I want radios, many radios, international, jazz, Japanese, religious, news, sports ... (enough of the classic icecast ... and sky fm ..., I would also like shoutcast radios).
3) Libreoffice interface refresh. Yes ..., I think that if we searched this blog 2 years ago ..., we would find people asking for an interface change, something that to this day has not yet happened and which I begin to think will never happen. I not only want the libreoffice interface to be more beautiful, but I also want it to make my life easier, especially in CALC (I had a lot of problems doing some work ...), I don't ask for a copy of ms office, in fact I could even take a note of Iwork in certain respects.
4) Wayland. Here we go into an aspect that has always caused me some anger in Linux, the use of xorg. Wayland is the future and I hope that very soon it can be the present of our desktops, the use of xorg does not free us from tearing without a composer (kwin, compiz, compton ..), and it has also created some annoying things among them:
1: That when entering a game with 1024 x 760 resolution, change the resolution of the entire environment and not just that of the game.
2: If the game crashes, many times the environment stays in low resolution and I had to go to change the resolution in the control panel .., but sometimes the resolution was so low that I could not press the del key change .., because it did not fit on the screen.
3: Flickering when you change from full screen to window mode, a clear example is when you are watching a movie with mplayer and suddenly a notification of kmess or empathy appears.
Wayland is supposed to prevent all these things from happening.
5) Audio: Jack .., press ..., alsa, I have tried them all, I have configured them all, and today nobody has been able to tell me how to record the internal audio of the pc and the microphone at the same time, to be able to make a gameplay ... , and about pulseaudio I can only say bad things.
Although pulse is a great advance in functionalities since it makes life easier, with usb headphones, 5.1 audio and other herbs, on my pc, I never, I repeat, it has finished sounding completely clear, I can always notice that noise in the songs .. and no, it's not a configuration problem, I did everything I could, change resampling, deactivate and activate functions according to the guide in Archlinux .., but nothing, to date has caused me more problems than advantages (better I'm not talking about how it goes with wine…).
At this point, it seems that certain users are paid by red hat to insult anyone who says that pulseaudio is doing badly…. (Gentlemen, a little self-criticism… it would never hurt us…, even Apple users complain about many things in their forums).
I have no more complaints, they are these simple things, in everything else I think that GNU / Linux is much superior, configurability, options for the users ..., in fact not even games are going to be a problem, since probably all games that are for OS X will be for Linux (thanks opengl).
I hope that in a year from now, when you look at this again, I can say that most of it is a thing of the past.
If someone after this post, wants to come and troll or light a flamewar, I can only say that it is not welcome, I would like that together we can calmly discuss these aspects and that opinions can be given without messing with anyone's mother.