Reasons can be used for and against Debian. However, those in favor are so weighty that they overshadow the opponents.
- Debian is Universal because it can be installed on a Mobile device; a laptop; a desktop machine; in a Server of medium benefits; in Professional Servers; Server Clusters; Supercomputers; Robots, etc.
- I will always be "dressing" a clearly defined operating system as a powerful server, whose basis does not distinguish between an operating system for Desktops and another for Servers.
- We are building a Custom desktop on one of the Linux versions that it respects the most the spirit of software
Free; Stable; of Lower consumption of resources; and popular.
- With a single installation CD or DVD + the right repository, I can make the Desktop I want for my workstation. Be it the well-known GNOME Desktop Environments / (GNU Network Object Model Environment) /, KDE, Xfce and Lxde, or the Window Managers WindowMaker, BlackBox, Flwm, and many more that would make the list very long.
- I can have a i386 32-bit base system and install the 64-bit amd64 kernel, without losing support for 32-bit applications at all. It will remain a 32-bit system.
- I can use My Desk for fun; as support for Office automation; the implementation of services; to virtualize servers or workstations; or as a design station. In short, practically for what you need.
- It is fun to learn how to configure a Desktop on Debian and in the process you learn.
… And why do you use Debian for you?